THE 2022 TWITTER TRENDS REPORT
Find below our top takeaways and insights from The 2022 Twitter Trends Report. Brought to you by Mau. Senior Digital Marketing Specialist at eDigital.
THE 2022 TWITTER TRENDS REPORT
You are not alone!
Thousands of professional marketers in fashion, food, alcohol, sports, fitness, travel, art and other growing industries are looking for new Twitter Marketing trends, opportunities, possibilities and movements that will define 2022.
IMPORTANCE OF TWITTER TRENDS
As Twitter is used by all genders and generations, marketers need to adapt their Twitter marketing to resonate with their key audiences.
And, whether your customer service has not been that great or your brand is yet to meet your marketing objectives, becoming aware of the top Twitter trends in 2022 is a great way to increase brand preference and trust which ultimately will boost leads, sales, profits and brand equity.
Being aware of the latest Twitter trends does not mean you gotta follow them blindly. Consider this Twitter Trends report 2022 as a source of inspiration or as a creative exercise you can experiment with and see if you can fuse them as part of your Twitter marketing.
One final point before you get started, you may also find some of the below Twitter trends featured in articles from top social media agencies and schools. The names may vary but the trends are still the same.
ABOUT THE 2022 TWITTER TRENDS REPORT
Twitter analysed 1 billion tweets over a two-year period and found three massive trends:
- Twitter trend 1: The Great Restoration
- Twitter trend 2: Fan-Built Worlds
- Twitter trend 3: Finance Goes Social
TWITTER IS NOT HELPING MARKETERS
- Organic posts are reaching an average of 1% of your followers. Crazy!
- Marketers keep trying so hard to build audiences on Twitter they do not even own.
- Marketers cannot transfer their hard-earned Twitter followers to their own CRM or another platform.
- Customer acquisition costs from Twitter ads are through the roof.
I offer exclusive marketing strategy training and workshops that will teach your team how to:
- Lower customer acquisition costs.
- Minimise dependency on paid media.
- Build a marketing engine with marketing assets and channels you fully own.
- Craft the best digital marketing plan and social media strategy that boosts sales and CLTV.
THE TWITTER TRENDS REPORT 2022
Below, our best virtual assistants are sharing some of the top takeaways and insights from the Twitter Trends Report 2022.
OUR TOP TAKEAWAYS FROM THE REPORT
Twitter trend 1: The Great Restoration
People expect their actions to care for the planet and themselves have some impact and accountability. Some of the most popular Twitter conversations include the below words:
- Greenwashing (158% increase YOY)
- Tracking sustainability/ESGs -Environmental Social and Corporate Governance – (115%)
- Fighting waste (109% increase YOY)
- Restoring/rebalancing (64% increase YOY)
- Decarbonisation (56% increase YOY)
- Sustainable growth (53% increase YOY)
? Popular read > The top most popular sustainability hashtags on TikTok
Other popular conversations trending on Twitter include themes and topics related to:
- Alternative fuels
- Brand activism
- Build back better
- Call-out culture
- Cleaner healthcare
- Climate action
- Climate mitigation
- Electric cars (i.e. new Tesla Model Y electric car, etc)
- Green energy
- Greener healthcare
- Nature photography
- Planet-friendly wellness
- Shop local
✔︎ Publicly show transparency and traceability in your supply chain.
✔︎ Start helping customers repair old products to keep them useful.
✔︎ Embrace slow food and slow fashion, even if it costs you in the short term.
✔︎ Help with the overall wellness of your customers.
✔︎ Find out what causes your customers care about (mental health, climate change, etc). Then work with them to use your corporate muscle to make a difference
✔︎ Collaborate with your top partners and/or competitors to take on sustainability together. What immediate change can you make?
? eDigital newsletter > Join 5k+ subscribers and get proven successful marketing strategies and tips!
Twitter trend 2: Fan-Built Worlds
Fans and influencers are building their own communities with their own rules and creating and owning the content and conversations in it. If you are lucky – they may invite your brand to participate. Fans can create content for you but they will co-own it and expect payment for it.
Some of the most popular Twitter conversations related to Fan-Built Worlds include:
- 994% YOY growth in “fan tokens” conversations.
- 320% YOY growth in topics like passive income, NFT collaborations, Fashion & collectibles, NFT avatars, crypto gaming
Other popular themes and topics include:
- AO3 (Archive of our own)
- Decentraland (Decentraland is a 3D virtual world browser-based platform. Users buy virtual plots of land in the platform as NFTs via the MANA cryptocurrency, which uses the Ethereum blockchain)
- Digital Art/NFT Art
- Fan marketplaces
- LARP (Live action role-playing games)
- Opulous music platform
- Patreon (USA monetisation platform for content creators)
- Role-playing games
- The SandBox (A metaverse gaming platform, people can play and earn money by selling their voxel art – 3d pixel art – in the blockchain.
- Trading in virtual worlds
- Virtual gigs in virtual worlds
- Virtual marketplaces
- Weverse (Korean mobile app for idol-fan-created digital art)
Example: In January 2022, adidas – in partnership with luxury fashion brand prada – launched the first collaborative NFT: adidas for Prada re-source in the Web3. The below image is a digital art creation project comprising 3,000 individual tiles created by fans. adidas invited fans to contribute to the artwork, for free, by capturing an image showcasing what “play” means to them. In an open raffle, with an allocation of places for Into the Metaverse NFT holders, 3,000 images were selected to participate, with each creator receiving a revenue share of the final artwork, and secondary market royalties from their individual tile NFT.
From there, digital artist @zach.lieberman created adidas for prada re-source by Zach Lieberman: a final artwork based upon an immersive patchwork of decentralised community image tile contributions. Zach Lieberman’s final art piece was minted as the final artwork NFT and auctioned on @superrare.co. After auction fees, all proceeds will be distributed among all individual image tile creators, Zach Lieberman and Slow Factory: a non-profit organisation working to create education to drive meaningful solutions and inclusive communities.
✔︎ Virtual world rewards. Find what your fans love and find virtual ways to surprise and delight. You could launch your new product exclusively in their game, with a real-world follow-up.
✔︎ Fan-driven co-creation. Creators from your own fandom always have more cred with your followers. Support them with new exciting collaborations: fan-created designs, virtual products, etc.
Twitter trend 3: Finance goes social
Experts and everyday people are sharing financial and investment knowledge on Twitter. The fast acclimation to NFTs looks to have people thinking of them like stocks. With Tweets about finance among non-pro/nonenthusiasts up 78% YoY. This trend is more than viral stock picks, though. The finance conversation has become part entertainment, part gaming.
- 492% YOY growth in the use of emojis in financial conversations.
- 242%+ growth across topics like Stablecoin, NFT marketplaces, DApps, token economy, decentralised exchanges
- 75% YOY growth #FinTwit conversations.
- 17x more tweets about NFT than WFH in 2021.
Other popular Twitter conversations related to finance include:
- Bitcoin ATMs
- Crowd loans
- Cypherpunk movement
- #DeFi (decentralised finance)
- NFT stocks
- ZCash/Privacy protected
✔︎ Make it fun. As finance has become social and fun, create NFTs that are meaningful or fun to your fans and customers.
✔︎ Decentralise product launches. When launching a new product or brand, look for ways to redistribute power from the brand to the people. How can you give them ownership and value?
? Trending > The best Social Media Strategy template
Even if you try and follow these Twitter trends, there is one fact: Twitter is a “money extraction” machine. They let you build an organic following base, but – at some point – their algorithm will change to get you to pay for ads so you can get the same level of reach you had organically. If you are a serious marketer, you do not want to rely on Twitter to bring you leads or sales.
? Join 5k+ subscribers receiving the best marketing tips.
I need your help! This free article is only possible with the essential support of our readers. Donate now! It is quick and easy ??
Final note: Lower customer acquisition costs and dependency on paid media. My proven training and strategic workshops will unmercifully uncover what your marketing sucks at and teach you how to build a marketing engine with channels and assets you fully own. The training will stir up lots of thinking and fire up new ideas in your team to effectively activate new paths to conversion and increase customers’ LTV.
TWITTER TRENDS REPORT 2022
was brought to you by Mau
Mau helps some of Australia’s ASX 200 companies lower customer acquisition costs and dependency on paid media. Mau is one of the most popular marketing consultants offering strategy sessions & workshops. Mau‘s premium Digital Marketing Plan & Social Media Plan templates are used by thousands of marketers