THE BEST 32 MOTHER’S DAY MARKETING CAMPAIGN IDEAS AND EXAMPLES 2021
Find below some of the best Mother’s Day marketing campaigns, tips, ideas and examples. Check out some Mother’s Day marketing strategies by popular brands including email campaigns, social media posts, ads and contests. Boost your Mother’s Day sales this 9th May 2021. Curated by Mau. Senior Digital Marketing Specialist and trainer at eDigital.
BEFORE DECIDING ON YOUR MOTHER’S DAY MARKETING CAMPAIGNS
Need some inspiration for your Mother’s Day Marketing Campaign? Marketers must think beyond the tired bouquet of flowers and chocolates this year. Consumers want to find new lasting ways to express love and communicate what they mean to them. Your job as a marketer is to inspire your customers to find new novel ideas for this Mother’s Day.
MAKE “MOTHER’S DAY” A KEY PART OF YOUR MARKETING PLAN
For some businesses “Mother’s Day” is a massive sales boost it is a no-brainer to have it listed on their Marketing Plan. It is just embedded in the business DNA (i.e. flower shops, restaurants, jewellery, etc)
UNDERSTAND MUMS MINDSET ON “MOTHER’S DAY” BEFORE CRAFTING CAMPAIGNS
- 40% of Moms fake reactions to Mother’s Day gifts they don’t like, according to a survey by market researchers OnePoll and commissioned by Groupon.
- Mothers do not want anything to do on Mother’s Day. The popular Scary Mommy blog has written it clear in this viral article.
- The best present: Uninterrupted “me time“. You can use this insight to run a competition so people can win a book by their favourite author, a reading chair, a cushion with the best natural fabric or even a new pair of bed sheets in good quality organic linen or cotton.
- Moms would love something with a sentimental meaning, for example, to be taken out for brunch at a great restaurant, get her tickets to a show she would love, a product that helps her tell the family story in a unique way, a well-organised trip with no kids.
- Make your product ready to be enjoyed by mothers. If something needs framing, then offer it framed, does it need to be assembly? offer assembly service, etc.
- Offer her a break from the daily shopping. In the APAC region, almost 9 out of 10 women say they share or have primary responsibility for daily shopping, according to a 2019 Nielsen report.
- Moms love dining out. According to a study by local e-commerce software: Womply, Mother’s Day is the highest revenue generator day for restaurants (At least in the USA). If you are a restaurant owner, your restaurant should be already fully booked for the celebration. If not, sack your marketer.
Husbands: If your wife prefers pyjamas and she is not the sporty type; do not gift her with lingerie or a gym membership; those would not be considered “gifts” for her. Ahh and leave the Dyson vacuum cleaner gift for another day.
NAIL DOWN YOUR KEY MESSAGE THEMES THAT APPEAL TO “MOTHER’S DAY” BUYERS
You also need to get into the buyers’ mindset and understand why they want to offer a great present or experience to their mother.
In most cases, people want to buy a present or an experience for their mother because:
- They want to show how grateful they are for all that their moms have done for them
- They want to say thank you for putting food on the table
- They want to acknowledge and thank them for teaching them respect for others
- They want to thank their mothers for helping them learn manners
- They want to show gratitude for showing them how to be kind
- They want to show appreciation for her unlimited generosity
- They feel their mother deserves the best gift
You can now craft your “Mother’s Day” marketing messages accordingly.
FIVE WAYS BRANDS CAN EMPOWER MUMS THIS MOTHER’S DAY
- Give your mother time back. Make it easier for mothers to buy from you. Offer secure and fast delivery or contactless curbside pick-up.
- Help her live healthier. Create clearer labels showing all materials or ingredients use on your products. It is still shocking in Australia to see so many brands not being transparent on this front.
- Break stereotypes. Make your brand a channel to help mums be accepted whatever way they decide to be, think and behave. Let them voice their opinions, fears and challenges.
- Support mothers in your team. Hire mothers, pay them fairly, train them and offer them flexible work schedules.
- Help them gain financial security. Offer mothers professional education to help them be financially secure. This may include how to smartly save money, how to negotiate salary packages, etc.
WHICH CHANNELS TO USE TO PROMOTE YOUR MOTHER’S DAY CAMPAIGNS
When it comes to marketing “Mother’s Day”, you’ve got many options:
- Your website. Make sure you promote your “Mother’s Day” special on the most visited pages of your website.
- Your affiliates. If you have an affiliate program already established, you can send out an exclusive “Mother’s Day offer to your affiliates.
- Email. You can send out an exclusive “Mother’s Day” deal, discount, special or promotion
- Social Media organic posts. You can schedule “Mother’s Day” posts on your social media accounts.
- Social Media paid/boosted posts. You can run an ad or boost a post to promote your Mother’s Day special.
- Display banner advertising. You can use the Google Display network or any other display network to show “Mother’s Day” display ads on popular sites and drive traffic to your website.
- SMS Marketing. You can send a “Mother’s Day” special offer to your customers via an SMS message. Do not forget to add an option for people to opt-out if they wish.
- Special event on Mother’s Day. You can run a physical or virtual event to celebrate Mother’s Day with your customers.
- Google My Business listing. Update your listing if you have extended opening hours on Mother’s Day.
- Centre management marketing. If you own a store inside a shopping centre, you can ask your centre management team to promote your “Mother’s Day” deal or offer.
- Influencer marketing. You can pay popular influencers in your industry to promote your “Mother’s Day” offer.
The more time you have to plan, the better your “Mother’s Day” execution and the better the results. But not everyone has time to put a full-blown “Mother’s Day” marketing plan into effect months—or even weeks—ahead of Mother’s Day, that doesn’t mean you can’t find success at the last minute.
Here are a few Mother’s Day marketing tips you can use to position your small business for success! And if you find that it’s too late for your business to market properly for this year’s Mother’s Day, there’s always next year!
I share some of the tips from my Social Media Marketing Course on how to best action Mother’s Day Marketing Campaigns plus tips, ideas and some of the best Mother’s Day Marketing Campaigns.
If your hero “Mother’s Day” item is related to food or a grocery item, you may want to be aware that Australia is the most promotional food and grocery market in the world, according to Nielsen, with an average of 35% of products sold at a discount between 2009-2019 with an average discount of 27%.
ANALYSE LAST YEARS MOTHER’S DAY MARKETING CAMPAIGN PERFORMANCE
Look for trends, such as:
- What sold well? Did any products outperform your Mother’s Day expectations last year? Be sure to stock up this year. And since there’s limited time until the big day, stock up SOON! And if you left with other products sitting on your shelves well into May, be sure to cut back on those to avoid clearance sales as the Mother’s Day season winds down.
- What was the average spend per purchase? Are there ways you can increase it? Retailers may want to consider setting up a small impulse-buy section with things most mothers love, for example, clothing & fashion, flowers, perfumes, jewellery, clothes, handbags, umbrellas, hats, skincare, sunglasses. Restaurateurs could set up a display with sampler trays of best-selling appetizers and desserts that can be pre-packaged and recommended to customers who come in for gift cards. Spa and salon owners can do likewise with gift baskets that include samples of your most popular products. For more restaurant specials you can offer to draw in the Mother’s Day crowd.
- What times were the busiest? Be sure you’re staffed up and well-stocked on those times during Mother’s Day. For other days with low traffic, consider holding special events and sales to draw in even more traffic and keep your guests browsing longer.
💡Tip: Make sure you talk to your team who was with you last year. They’re sure to have some great input and ideas for this year. With all of this info in hand, you now have a good idea of the Mother’s Day-specific items you should focus on this year. From here, you can begin putting together your Mother’s Day promotion plan by working backward from Mother’s Day date.
WHAT TO PLAN FOR MOTHER’S DAY
Decide what you will promote, when, and where—and be sure to think about all of the Mother’s Day marketing channels that are available to you, such as email marketing, direct mail, social media, and in-store signage.
Nail down all of the content you need—including headlines, calls-to-action, and social posts—before your Mother’s Day business starts to pick up. Once you’re happy with it, schedule your campaigns in your email marketing and social media dashboard tools of choice. There’s still time to get at least 1-2 Mother’s Day marketing campaigns out the door.
START EXECUTING YOUR MOTHER’S DAY MARKETING CAMPAIGNS
As soon as possible, plot out Mother’s Day campaigns and have your products ready! Customers are already shopping for Mother’s Day, so it’s important that you’re ready for them when they start to come to your shop or visit your website.
Craft nice Mother’s Day-related decoration on your physical store and/or a nice theme on your website’s home page.
By now you have become aware the key “Mother’s Day” messages are:
This can mean some paper streamers and garlands that you can easily string across your ceiling or displays.
Keep in mind that some marketing tactics take a little more time to execute than others. You may be able to create and deploy Mother’s Day social media posts up to the last minute, but it might be a little late to plan on rolling out a direct mail campaign. Unless you’re ready to roll this out in the coming days, you may need to rethink your Mother’s Day marketing strategy to incorporate ideas that can be executed quickly.
If you’ve deployed any Mother’s Day marketing campaigns already, or plan to in the coming days, be sure to keep an eye on your email and social campaigns to ensure everything you already have scheduled rolls out as planned.
Talk to your team to make sure they’re prepared to handle the Mother’s Day rush that might ensue, and that they’re prepped with everything they need!
MOTHER’S DAY CONTENT IDEAS
Find below some of the most popular “Mother’s Day” content people engage with.
- Mother’s Day Contests/competitions. You can create a “Tell us in 25 words or less why you would like to have a XYZ for your chance to win ZZZ. People love this sort of competition idea during Mother’s Day.
- Mother’s Day promo codes. Who would not like to get a discounted product for Mother’s Day? Get people into your shopping cart with a great promo code.
- Mother’s Day Gift Guide/Ideas. Thousands of people want to buy something for their mums but not sure what. You can help them by curating the most unique products. Buzzfeed does this quite well with their popular gift guides:
TRACK YOUR MOTHER’S DAY MARKETING CAMPAIGN RESULTS
If you’ve been preparing for Mother’s Day since the beginning of the year, you’ll have plenty of time to monitor your promotional efforts and tweak anything that doesn’t seem to be working—or double down on what is. If you are already a bit late, there’s still a few quick tips you can follow to capitalize on the last-minute audience:
- Depending on in-store sales, move mother-related hot-selling items to a more prominent display or introduce new promotions to juice up slow sales.
- For last-minute shoppers, there is an opportunity to provide personalised service to help customers find the perfect Mother’s Day gifts and upsell them on additional purchases.
- Run a campaign with Groupon or another Daily deal website! Mother’s Day is one of the busiest times of the year for these daily deals websites and draws tons of customers to the site looking for the perfect gift for their loved Mother! Now’s a great time to get your products and services in front of this audience.
- Try a “Mother’s Day” referral marketing campaign with PartnerStack. A well set up referral marketing program can increase sales of your Mother’s Day campaign.
- Keep your eye on the numbers—and don’t be afraid to adjust your plans as needed—right up through Mother’s Day date. Once Mother’s Day marketing plans are in full swing, you can breathe a sigh of relief, and start thinking about your next campaign for June.
I SELL TO MEN, SHOULD I PROMOTE MOTHER’S DAY?
Some of the buyers of Mother’s day gifts are men. This means if you help your male buyers buy the right Mother’s Day gifts and/or experiences for their mothers or wives, it is likely they will help you back (buy from you again).
Also, the lines between male-only products are female-only products are getting thinner. Meaning, if you think only one gender is buying your products; you probably should run a customer research study to find out what genders are buying and/or using your products.
THE BEST 32 MOTHER’S DAY MARKETING CAMPAIGN IDEAS AND EXAMPLES 2021
104.7 kcld RADIO – MOTHER’S DAY PHOTO CONTEST
Using ShortStack contest tool, 104.7 KCLD radio got 200k+ entries on Mother’s Day running a day spa giveaway for both mother and daughter.
Below is an example of the selfie photo contest entries:
Airbnb is not shy to shine on Mother’s Day. The successful start-up creates highly relevant content for Mothers Day.
Here is a free coupon you can use to gift your Mom with a great experience or accommodation.
Looking for a Mother’s Day competition idea or example?
AMAZON – HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY VIDEO
BOOKING.COM – “NO KIDS ALLOWED” MOTHER’S DAY MARKETING CAMPAIGN
In honour of Mother’s Day, Booking.com invited Moms to recharge their batteries and seek some tranquillity. They created a landing page with a selection of destinations endorsed by thousands of travellers for health spas from around the world. Moms took their pick and treated for that much-needed spa break.
EBAY – MOTHER’S DAY SECTION PROMOTION
ETSY – MOTHER’S DAY FACEBOOK POST
FIVER GIGS FOR MUMS
Fiver actively promotes those freelancers who offer “Mother’s Day” related gigs and services. If you are a small business or large, you can use fiver to find freelancers who can design and create whatever you need for this Mother’s Day.
FOMO – “MOTHER’S DAY” POP UP MESSAGES ON YOUR WEBSITE
Cold traffic can be hard to convert. Buyers of “Mother’s Day” gifts don’t just become customers the first time they come across your business. You need to earn their trust first. Social proof, however, can facilitate that process. It’s one of the most effective levers an eCommerce business has for building trust, and it has the potential to become even more powerful as you grow.
For example, your website can show a “Mother’s Day” pop up message every time someone buys a “Mother’s Day” gift. Yes, that’s right. How? Contact Fomo to find out more…
Fotor offers volumes of creative images, photos, templates, stickers, posters including “Mother’s Day” banners and images. You can also use fotor ro edit your images, create collages and any type of design. No downloads, the fotor software lives on the cloud.
GROUPON AUSTRALIA – MOTHER’S DAY ANIMAL MOM-TAGE
IKEA – MOTHER’S DAY – I DO NOT WANT ANYTHING VIDEO
KMART AUSTRALIA – MOTHER’S DAY FACEBOOK GREETING
Ups! someone forgot to refill the hand sanitisers and clean the trollies at Kmart during Mother’s Day.
KOGAN – MOTHER’S DAY GIFT GUIDE
Kogan, the Russian king of the online retailer in Aussie land, likes to make “Mother’s Day” themed guides, sections and landing pages on their website.
LOUIS VUITTON – MOTHER’S DAY PERFUME VIDEO
LUSH AUSTRALIA – FACEBOOK IMAGE POST – MUMS CAN DO IT ALL BUT THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE TO
MOMPRENEUR – MOTHER’S DAY QUIZ
Aha! Using Interact Quiz maker, Mompreneur runs a successful quiz ” What type of Mom Mogul are you?. The responses not only helped the company understand better their audience but also build an expanded database of potential customers.
Other quizzes you could run are…
- What type of single mum are you?
- What type of mother you have? We will send the funny results to your mother today!
MYER – MOTHER’S DAY CAMPAIGN VIDEO
An explainer video of the “Mother’s Day” campaign’s collaboration between the artists.
WHICH NETFLIX MUM DO YOU HAVE?
REDBALLON MOTHER’S DAY OFFER 20% OFF SITEWIDE
SEA SHEPHERD CONSERVATION SOCIETY – MOTHER’S DAY POST ON FACEBOOK – PILOT WHALE AND PODS
SEPHORA MOTHER’S DAY PRODUCT VIDEO
SHERIDAN – MOTHER’S DAY PROMO VIDEO
SHOPIFY – FREE “MOTHER’S DAY” RELATED IMAGES AND PHOTOGRAPHY FOR EVERYONE TO USE
Millions of small online sellers love Shopify! For Mother’s Day, Shopify gives away free stock “mother” theme photography. Mom pictures and parenting photos. You can download free images of smiling happy mothers for greeting cards, special thank-you notes & other commercial projects. Whether you are a Shopify customer or not, you can still use these free stock photos.
Shopify also produces video content for Mother’s Day, featuring mompreneurs or entrepreneurs who have transformed their mother’s business.
SHOWPO MOTHER’S DAY GIFT GUIDE
STAYZ – PROVE YOU ARE THE FAVOURITE CHILD THIS MOTHER’S DAY
T2 TEA – MOTHER’S DAY CONTACTLESS CLICK & COLLECT VIDEO
TARGET AUSTRALIA – MOTHER’S DAY PRODUCT GALLERY
THE ICONIC – MOTHER’S DAY VIDEO DURING PANDEMIC
TRAVELOCITY.COM – BEST HOTEL STAYS FOR MOTHER’S DAY
TRIP.COM – MOTHER’S DAY REVIEWS
Are you a hotel, pub, restaurant, cafe or any sort of brick and mortar retail business customers leave reviews on Google Maps, trip.com, Tripadvisor and other aggregators or deal websites? Well, ensure you encourage customers to leave reviews for mother’s day. The more great reviews, the more new customers will walk in.
UDEMY – GENEALOGY FAMILY TREE BOARDGAME
On Mother’s Day, Udemy promotes interesting unique gifts for mothers.
VIRGIN AUSTRALIA – MOTHER’S DAY – 102 YEARS OLD MOTHER PASSENGER VIDEO
MOTHER’S DAY MARKETING NEEDS TO BE CREATIVE
What should a brand do on Mother’s if they aren’t selling flowers or jewellery?
- Make a parody: with so much going on a parody surely will take people’s attention.
- Think about all types of mothers. single mothers, lesbian mothers, grandmothers, future mothers (pregnant ones) as well as mothers with husbands.
- Invite your customers to be part of it via a contest or competition that will bring lots of user-generated content.
VIRAL TWITTER CONTENT FOR MOTHER’S DAY
Below are the top two most viral Twitter post for Mother’s Day in the last few years.
WHAT ABOUT EMAIL MARKETING FOR MOTHER’S DAY?
You can create email marketing sequences with tools such as Active Campaign for Mother’s day. An example can be sending a variety of emails to your last year Mother’s Day customers with some great offers and great content on how to enjoy the day.
Don’t have a Mother’s Day email template yet? Check out Benchmark templates for Mother’s Day.
Mothers Day Marketing statistics Benchmark email
Last note: Is your marketing not bringing the sales you want? Would you like to stop wasting your money on ads not performing? Find how you can increase your sales with our eCom boost program!
BEST MOTHER’S DAY MARKETING CAMPAIGN IDEAS & EXAMPLES
was brought to you by…
Mau is has been meowing digital marketing for 16+ years. A certified Facebook, Google Ads, SEO specialist and keynote speaker; Mau also offers marketing strategy support & digital marketing training. Mau‘s Digital Marketing Plan & Social Media Plan templates are used by hundreds of marketers. Subscribe to Mau’s newsletter or connect on Linkedin Instagram or Facebook