THE BEST 10 BLACK FRIDAY MARKETING CAMPAIGN IDEAS AND EXAMPLES FOR 2023
Find below the best 10 Black Friday marketing campaign ideas and examples for 2023. The top 10 marketing examples & ideas for Black Friday sales in 2023.
Find below our collection of some of the best Black Friday marketing campaigns, offers and promotional ideas in 2023.
By Mau, a Senior Digital Marketing Specialist and trainer at eDigital.
BEFORE DECIDING ON YOUR BLACK FRIDAY MARKETING CAMPAIGNS
WHEN IS BLACK FRIDAY CELEBRATED IN AUSTRALIA?
Black Friday is celebrated in Australia on the 25th of November 2023
MAKE “BLACK FRIDAY” A KEY PART OF YOUR MARKETING PLAN
For some businesses “Black Friday” is a massive sales boost it is a no-brainer to have it listed on their Marketing Plan. It is just embedded in the business DNA (i.e. retail shops, department stores, jewellery shops, etc.)
UNDERSTAND THE MUMS’ MINDSET ON “BLACK FRIDAY” BEFORE CRAFTING YOUR MARKETING CAMPAIGNS
NAIL DOWN YOUR KEY MESSAGE THEMES THAT APPEAL TO “BLACK FRIDAY” DEAL SEEKERS
You need to get into the buyers’ mindset and understand why they want to buy during Black Friday.
In most cases, people want to spend cash $$ on Black Friday because:
- They want to get an amazing deal.
- They do not want to wait until Christmas
- They fear the item’s price will go up during Christmas
- They want to secure a gift before the Christmas rush
Knowing the above them you can craft your marketing messages accordingly.
WHICH CHANNELS TO USE TO PROMOTE YOUR BLACK FRIDAY CAMPAIGNS
When it comes to marketing “Black Friday”, you’ve got many options:
- Your website
- Your affiliates (if you have an affiliate program already established)
- An exclusive “Black Friday” EDM (electronic direct mail)
- Organic “Black Friday” posts on Social Media
- Paid ads on Social Media
- Display banner advertising on key sites.
- SMS Marketing
- Online directories.
- Outdoor advertising.
- Special event on Black Friday.
- Google My Business listing (update your listing if you have extended opening hours on Black Friday)
- Centre management marketing (if you are in a shopping centre you want to collaborate with your centre management marketing team)
- lastly, use your e-newsletter to communicate your Black Friday doorbuster promotions, offers, discounts and activities to people who already know about your business.
The more time you have to plan, the better your “Black Friday” execution and the better the results. But as we all know, not everyone has time to put a full-blown “Black Friday” marketing plan into effect months—or even weeks—ahead of Black Friday day, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find success at the last minute.
Here are a few Black Friday marketing tips you can use to position your small business for success! And if you find that it’s too late for your business to market properly for this year’s Black Friday, there’s always next year!
I share some of the tips from my Social Media Marketing Course on how to best action Black Friday Marketing Campaigns plus tips, ideas and some of the best Black Friday Marketing Campaigns.
If your hero “Black Friday” item is food or a grocery item, it is important to know that Australia is the most promotional food and grocery market in the world, according to Nielsen, with an average of 35% of products sold at a discount between 2009-2019 with an average discount of 27%.
ANALYSE LAST YEAR’S BLACK FRIDAY MARKETING CAMPAIGN PERFORMANCE
Look for trends, such as:
- What sold well? Did any products outperform your Black Friday expectations last year? Be sure to stock up this year. And since there’s limited time until the big day, stock up SOON! And if you left with other products sitting on your shelves well into the end of November, you can still sell them as part of your Christmas deals.
- What was the average spend per purchase? Are there ways you can increase it? Retailers may want to consider setting up a small impulse-buy section with things most deal seekers are looking for perfumes, jewellery, clothes, handbags, umbrellas, hats and sunglasses. Restaurateurs could set up a display with sampler trays of best-selling appetizers and desserts that can be pre-packaged and recommended to customers who come in to grab nice “Black Friday” deals.
- What times were the busiest? Be sure you’re staffed up and well-stocked during those times during Black Friday day. For other times with low traffic, consider holding a special event and sales to draw in even more traffic and keep your customers browsing longer.
Tip: Make sure you talk to your team, they may offer great input and “Black Friday” deal ideas. With all of this info in hand, you now have a good idea of the Black Friday day-specific items you should focus on this year. From here, you can begin putting together your Black Friday promotion plan by working backwards from the Black Friday date.
Trending today > The best 10 Walmart Black Friday discounts and deals.
START YOUR BLACK FRIDAY PLANNING
Decide what you will promote, when, and where—and be sure to think about all of the Black Friday marketing channels that are available to you, such as email marketing, direct mail, social media, and in-store signage.
Nail down all of the content you need—including headlines, calls-to-action, and social posts—before your Black Friday business starts to pick up. Once you’re happy with it, schedule your campaigns in your email marketing and social media dashboard tools of choice. There’s still time to get at least 1-to 2 Black Friday marketing campaigns out the door.
START EXECUTING YOUR BLACK FRIDAY MARKETING CAMPAIGNS
As soon as possible, plot out your Black Friday campaigns and have your products ready! Australian customers will be looking for Black Friday offers in early November, so it’s important that you’re ready for them when they start to come to your shop or visit your website.
Craft a nice “Black Friday” decoration on your physical store and/or a nice theme on your website’s home page.
By now you already know the key messages are:
- Massive discounts
- Unique promotions not offered at Christmas
- It is a lifetime deal.
- Do not wait for Christma’s crowds.
This can mean some paper streamers and garlands that you can easily string across your ceiling or displays.
Keep in mind that some marketing tactics take a little more time to execute than others. You may be able to create and deploy Black Friday social media posts up to the last minute, but it might be a little late to plan on rolling out a direct mail campaign. Unless you’re ready to roll this out in the coming days, you may need to rethink your Black Friday marketing strategy to incorporate ideas that can be executed quickly.
If you’ve deployed any Black Friday marketing campaigns already, or plan to in the coming days, be sure to keep an eye on your email and social campaigns to ensure everything you already have scheduled rolls out as planned.
Talk to your team to make sure they’re prepared to handle the Black Friday rush that might ensue, and that they’re prepped with everything they need, especially if you have doorbuster specials and promotions that will bring crowds to wait outside your store even before you open.
TRACK YOUR BLACK FRIDAY MARKETING CAMPAIGN RESULTS
If you’ve been preparing for Black Friday since the middle of the year, you’ll have plenty of time to monitor your promotional efforts and tweak anything that doesn’t seem to be working—or double down on what is. If you are already a bit late, there are still a few quick tips you can follow to capitalise on this last-minute Black Friday deal seekers audience:
- Depending on in-store sales, move “Black Friday” related hot-selling items to a more prominent display or introduce new promotions to juice up slow sales.
- For last-minute Black Friday shoppers, there is an opportunity to provide personalised service to help customers find the perfect Black Friday deal and upsell them on additional purchases.
- Run a campaign with Groupon or another Daily deal website! Black Friday sales are now popular in Australian retailing and are becoming of the busiest times of the year for these daily deals websites and draw tons of customers to these sites looking for the best deal!
- Try a “Black Friday” referral marketing campaign with PartnerStack or Tapfiliate. Referral marketing dramatically increases existing customer engagement and new customer acquisition while spreading brand awareness about your Black Friday deals and Black Friday doorbuster promotions.
- Keep your eye on the numbers—and don’t be afraid to adjust your plans as needed—right up through the Black Friday date. Once Black Friday marketing plans are in full swing, you can breathe a sigh of relief, and start thinking about your Christmas campaigns.
THE BEST 10 BLACK FRIDAY MARKETING CAMPAIGN IDEAS AND EXAMPLES FOR 2023
Cold traffic can be hard to convert. Buyers of “Black Friday” deals don’t just become customers the first time they come across your business. You need to earn their trust first. Social proof, however, can facilitate that process. Social Proof is one of the most effective levers an eCommerce business has for building trust, and it has the potential to become even more powerful as you grow.
For example, your website can show a “Black Friday” pop-up message every time someone buys a “Black Friday” promotion.
Yes, that’s right. How? Contact Fomo to find out more…
Drip is one of the world’s best marketing automation platforms and email marketing software designed to help e-commerce marketers put their customers first and build brand love through email, onsite, and tight third-party integrations.
The Drip software promotes Black Friday with a well-curated “Black Friday Statistics” article on its blog.
For example, a “What type of Black Friday shopper are you?” quiz
The responses not only help you understand better your audience but also build an expanded database of potential customers.
I love Shopify! They put effort to create “Black Friday Sale” free stock photography, images and pictures for anyone to use. Whether you are a Shopify customer or not, you can still use this super-relevant resource.
Black Friday pictures and photos. You can download “Black Friday” free images for posters and other Black Friday-related visuals.
During the Black Friday Sales period, Brand24 creates relevant content to be shared across its website and social media channels. Examples include: “The 55+ Best Black Friday SaaS Deals” article.
A WAKE-UP CALL FOR MARKETERS
Before you start crafting your Black Friday sales and deals, let me tell you something you have probably been turning a blind eye to…
Social Media is not helping your business
- If you are lucky, your organic social media posts are reaching just 2% of your followers. That’s crazy! This is a massive issue affecting thousands of marketers.
- You have been trying hard to build audiences on social media that you do not even own.
- You cannot transfer your hard-earned social media followers to your own CRM or another platform.
- Your customer acquisition costs from social media ads are through the roof.
Book eDigital‘s marketing strategy training that will help you:
- Lower customer acquisition costs.
- Minimise dependency on paid media.
- Build a marketing engine with marketing assets and channels you fully own.
- Craft the best digital marketing plan and social media strategy that boosts sales and customer lifetime value.
The CrowdFire is one of the best social media management tools used by thousands of marketers.
During the Black Friday Sales period, CrowFire publishes Holiday marketing and Black Friday content and syndicates it on other popular sites (ie Medium).
ShortStack is one of the best social media contest management software to run consumer competitions, contests, giveaways and sweepstakes.
Some days before the Black Friday Sales period, ShortStack publishes tips and best practices for Black Friday sales, promotions and contests.
Popular this month > The best 10 Walmart Black Friday discounts and deals.
TailWind is one of the best Pinterest and Instagram scheduling tools used by thousands of Marketers around the world.
For the Black Friday period, TailWind publishes tips on how to market Black Friday Deals.
Unbounce is one of the most used landing page software for increasing leads, signups and sales.
Unbounce is well known for sharing “Black Friday” sales best marketing practices, especially offering marketing advice on how to increase online sales.
Awario is one of the best social media monitoring tools available for marketers all around the world.
For the “Black Friday Sales” period, Awario shares deals that are relevant and interesting for marketers.
BLACK FRIDAY MARKETING CAMPAIGNS MUST BE CREATIVE
What should a brand do during the Black Friday promotional period?
- Make a parody: with so much going on a parody surely will take people’s attention.
- Think about all types of “Black Friday” deal seekers. Single mothers, families with low incomes, teenagers looking for the best deal, etc.
- Invite your customers to be part of Black Friday via a contest or competition that will bring lots of user-generated content.
WHAT ABOUT BLACK FRIDAY EMAIL CAMPAIGNS?
Did you know you can create email marketing sequences with tools such as Active Campaign for Black Friday? An example can be sending a variety of emails to your last year’s “Black Friday” customers with your best “Black Friday” offers, doorbuster promotions and great content on how to enjoy the day.
Don’t have a Black Friday email template yet? Check out Benchmark templates for Black Friday.
Need Black Friday marketing support or training? Contact us
Black Friday marks the beginning of the end-of-the-year holiday shopping season in many countries.
Black Friday is known for significant discounts and deals, driving a massive surge in consumer spending and bringing extra cash to retailers so they can stock up with the latest products for December.
For marketers, Black Friday is a fantastic opportunity to generate substantial revenue and get rid of old inventory within a short period.
Need training on how to boost your Black Friday sales? Contact us today!
Final note: Want to reduce customer acquisition costs and dependency on paid media? eDigital’s marketing strategy training will unmercifully review your marketing campaigns and help you build a marketing engine with channels and assets you fully own. The training will stir up your team’s thinking and bring new ideas to activate new conversion paths and effectively boost customer lifetime value.
THE BEST BLACK FRIDAY MARKETING CAMPAIGN IDEAS AND EXAMPLES
Mau is one of the most popular marketing consultants helping marketers like you lower customer acquisition costs and paid media dependency through custom training and strategy sessions. Mau‘s popular Digital Marketing Plan & Social Media Plan templates are used by thousands of marketers.