THE BEST JANUARY SALES MARKETING CAMPAIGN IDEAS & EXAMPLES IN 2024
The best January Sales campaign examples and ideas in 2024. Top marketing tips, ideas and examples for January Sales campaigns in 2024.
Boost your January sales with these great “January sales” marketing campaign ideas, tips, examples, themes, slogans and phrases including retail, electronics, cars, home appliances, fashion, dental, travel and more.
It’s brought to you by Mau, a senior digital marketing specialist at eDigital.
Trending today > The best “Australia Day” hashtags for Instagram
THE BEST JANUARY SALE EXAMPLES, MARKETING TIPS & PROMOTION IDEAS IN 2024
You are not alone!
Our best virtual assistants have discovered consumers start the new year with new items. They enjoy finding the best deals and promotions during January.
And, whether your customer service was not that great in the previous year or your brand is yet to meet your marketing objectives, creating a January sales campaign for your customers is a great way to increase brand preference and trust which ultimately will boost leads, sales, profits and brand equity.
eDigital newsletter > Join 5k+ subscribers and get proven successful marketing strategies and tips!
HOW CONSUMERS DISCOVER PRODUCTS AND BUY IN JANUARY
This January Sales season requires a few changes in the way you used to run and deliver your January Sales marketing campaign.
Your new January Sale should consider the following factors:
- Online Jan Sale deals are convenient. Online Jan sales are outperforming physical Jan sales as people prefer buying online.
- Most of the “Product Discovery” phase starts now on social media. Yeah, that’s right, people discover new products through the people they follow on social media. By watching videos and photos on social media, people are also finding new ways of enjoying new brands. Someone watching an unboxing video on YouTube may also watch how that product is used differently by another influencer or creator, then visit a review website and finally search on Google to find a January sale for that product.
- Better and more customer reviews. People are using “trust” clues before exchanging their hard-earned money for your January Sale deal. In this context, a carefully planned customer reviews strategy has become a “must-have” feature that will help you increase your January sales targets. Extend your customer reviews to product pages, category pages, Facebook business accounts and Google My Business profiles.
- User-generated content has become an important element for how people shop. Whatever the execution i.e. embedding videos from Youtube or inspiration galleries pulled from Instagram on product pages; using UGC has become the rule, not just a “nice-to-have”. People are becoming used to trusting only other people’s opinions about the products they are curious about.
- Changes to store layouts. Apart from buying online, buy online pick up in-store (BOPIS) and curbside pick up has become one of the preferred ways consumers want to get January Sale deals.
- Optimise delivery costs by promoting bigger basket sizes. You can group similar or complementary products in a way that makes sense for the buyer but also optimise your delivery costs and increase average online purchase values (AOPV)
- Fast delivery. In sectors in which January Sale deals are quite similar, you can promote a faster delivery than your competitors. Look at Sephora or Amazon Prime in NYC offering one-hour delivery.
- Track competitors. Ensure your January Sale is the best deal in the market because price comparisons take a minute or two, especially when everyone knows the big players tend to always have the best deals: Amazon, eBay, AliExpress, etc. If your competitors are publicly listed companies, you can look at their shareholder reports to see how online sales are performing vs in-store sales. If available, look at their January sales data to give you an idea of the market share you can grab with a great January Sales campaign.
- Look at market trends. Tracking market trends will allow you to ensure the products offered are still hot. If only a few are buying your Jan sale, you know your deal is not that good or your product is no longer a “must-have” on your customers’ minds.
- Loyalty is up for grabs. People are especially not loyal to brands that do not get the basics right: opening hours, inventory levels, customer service phone numbers, curbside pick-up, etc. These brands will find it hard not only to hit their Jan Sales targets but also to retain their customers. This is especially important for low-consideration products or services.
ONE HERO PRODUCT/SERVICE ON SALE
Before you start using some of the below January Sales marketing campaign ideas, you should craft a niche and unique January Sales campaign that will connect your offer to the perfect audience: bargain hunters.
For example, if you provide dental services specialised in broken or cracked teeth then you have great opportunities to create a January Sales campaign focused only on people who live in your geographic area who need an affordable deal to get their broken teeth fixed.
Promoting generic January Sales campaigns may bring you calls or foot traffic, however, they will not be as effective as using very niche, specific messages for specific products and services you are offering at a discounted price during January.
Celebrate Australia Day with one of these “Australia flag map” images.
OFFER A “BRAND EXPERIENCE” ENVIRONMENT
More marketers are now realising offering unique, valuable “experience” environments where customers can learn and enjoy their products, find out more about their quality and understand their supply chains and pricing, will lead to customers welcoming the money-value exchange.
Do you remember when Nespresso opened its first concept store in Paris in 2000?
Ahead of time, they knew the value of creating a service system that brings a unique experience to their customers, not necessarily offering an in-store physical product transaction.
Twenty years later, many brands are still trying to figure out how to design a truly remarkable brand experience.
I am saying this because the better the brand experience is, the less you need to rely on January sale deals or discounts.
When you offer a truly unique brand experience environment to your customers (not just stores), you have more chances of earning trust from your customers.
As a result, your brand will rely less on discounted campaigns.
The Canada Goose store in Toronto is another great example of a brand that wants to move in this direction.
THE TOP TIPS FOR JANUARY SALES IN 2024
Below are some ideas and tips when designing, planning, launching and measuring your “January Sale” campaigns.
- Marketing material should be ready in Nov (At the latest). Yeah, during December, your team is busy wrapping up the year or is away on holiday. If you are planning to run video ads for TV or YouTube, the video production will need to start a few months before January.
- SEO. Ensure your January sale campaign appears when people type your brand or product name in Google. Ensure you use juicy keywords such as “Sale, offers, deals, promo code, discount. etc”. Examples of popular search term combinations for January Sale campaigns are:
- “[your brand name] January sale [year]” or
- “[your hero product name] January sale [year]“
- Campaign name. Should you call it Jan Sale or New Year’s Sale? According to Google Trends data, both terms are popular. You could publish a landing page for each term so your deals running in January are easily found by search engines. Check with your SEO provider which term combination people use to find your brand’s “January Sale” campaigns and deals. We can offer you SEO assistance if needed.
- Promo codes. Make sure your promo codes are unique for your January sale campaign, this way it is easier to track and measure your campaign results. A “JANSALE” promo code is probably not enough. A “JANSALE24” promo code is much better. Also, test your promo codes, ensuring the correct discount is applied to the online transaction.
- Facebook event. You could create an event on Facebook for your January Sales campaign. This way, people who want to get your January deals and offers can get notified when there are any updates or changes.
- Dates. Launch your January Sales campaign on the 1st Jan unless you want customers to pay in advance. Airlines, hotels, holiday, travel, tourism and education providers generally promote their January sales around October and November, so you will have to have your materials ready by September. (See Cairns Airport example below). Apart from those industries, it is ok to launch your “January Sale” campaign on the 1st of January. If you also run a “Back to School” campaign, then you may need your January Sale campaign to be shorter, for example from 1st Jan to 15 Jan. (As seen below, Betta runs its Jan sale 1-10 Jan and Back to School 10-17 Jan)
- Unique creatives. You may want to produce different creative visuals for Christmas, Boxing Day and January sales. This way customers can easily distinguish each campaign. Look at this example with similar videos but for different campaigns.
- Colour. Just because red is the most popular “sale” colour, that does not mean you should use red for your Jan sale campaign. Ensure your messages use your brand colours. If not sure, talk to us. We can design eye-catching visuals for your Jan Sales campaign.
- Hero offer. Promote only one BIG offer if possible. The more offers you promote, the more distraction you are creating and the fewer chances people will remember your offer.
- Target. You have the option of cherry-picking the target audience most receptive to respond to your January deal. You may not want everyone to be aware of your highly discounted January sale.
- Channels. Same as picking your Jan Sales target audience, you can pick specific channels. You may decide to promote your Jan sale offer only via catalogues.
- Message frequency and reach. If you are not choosing a specific audience and/or channel, then your Jan Sales campaign will need to be promoted with extra frequency and reach. On the contrary, if you are about to sell out, you can reduce your marketing spending. You will need to check this daily during your Jan Sales campaign period.
- Partners. Involve important partners in your Jan sales promotion. This may include getting influencers to promote your Jan sale offer via unboxing videos or shopping haul videos. If your business is located in a shopping mall, get centre management to promote your Jan sale on their website, e-newsletter and social media channels.
- Event. You may want to include running a physical or virtual event to fully push your Jan offer, including demonstrations, celebrity appearances, etc.
- Email marketing. Send a drip e-mail sequence to remind people about your January sale. You can use an early, middle and end-of-the-month email sequence.
- Return rates. January sales generally bring a lot of compulsive buying behaviour. After a few days or weeks, buyers may change their minds and want to return the product. Ensure your January Sale campaign has clear T&C’s to reduce product return rates.
- Ending your Jan Sales campaign. Ensure all January sale promotional material is taken off on the 31st of January and update prices in your system. Find insights on your data once your January Sales campaign ends. Present your hypothesis to your team and test some different executions the next January. If the new Jan Sales campaign executions work, you then scale them, if they do not, remove them.
Marketers are reading > The top 25 most popular “Australia Day” hashtags on Instagram
THE BEST “JANUARY SALES” MARKETING CAMPAIGN EXAMPLES AND IDEAS IN 2024
Below are some of the best January Sales Marketing campaign examples.
If you find one that takes your attention, pin it on your Pinterest account and you have it ready when designing your next Jan Sales campaign 🙂
The research was done by some of our best virtual assistants.
AFFORDABLE MOBILES JANUARY SALES
Using humour, this ad successfully reminds people how to get a new mobile phone with no need to visit a store. This video was the most popular “January sale” video on YouTube between the 7th Dec 2020 to the 7th Jan 2021.
JANUARY SALE BANNER ON A HOME PAGE
AMAZON JANUARY SALE
Amazon Jan sales slogan: “Ring in the new year”
ARGOS JANUARY SALE
Argos Jan sales slogan: “Sales and so much more Now on”
APPLE JANUARY SALE
Apple does not run a January Sale or New Year’s Sale campaign.
Apple is one of those few brands in the world not offering discounted products.
The only way people can get a benefit when buying Apple products during January is through the Apple Card which offers interest-free overtime payments.
Apart from that, student discounts are available throughout the year.
Apple Jan sales slogan: Pay for your new Apple products over time, interest-free.
ASOS JANUARY SALE CLOTHES
Asos January sale marketing campaign name: “Sale: Further reductions up to 80% off”
BED BATH N’ TABLE JANUARY SALE
Home retailer Bed Bath N’ Table runs a “Clearance Sale” during January, offering up to 60% off selected products.
BOSE NEW YEAR’S SALE
Bose is one of the kings of sound. No doubt. People love their online New Year’s Sale offering up to 25% off.
CAIRNS AIRPORT JANUARY SALE & ALLIANCE AIRLINES
As mentioned, airlines usually promote their January holiday sales far in advance Oct/Nov, making sure they fill in seats quicker. The below January deal was promoted on Facebook in November.
CURRYS JANUARY SALE
Currys Jan sales slogan: Sale. “Save up to 40% over 1000 products. Get in”
CHESHIRE OAKS JANUARY SALE
Cheshire Oaks Designer Depot Jan sales: they are offering Drive-in movie nights in Jan.
ee January sales deals offers
Celebrate Australia Day with one of these “Australia flag map” images.
FREEDOM FURNITURE JANUARY SALE
Freedom January sales marketing campaign name: Absolutely everything on sale!
FISHING JANUARY SALE BCF
Fishing January sale deals are one of the most searched offers by people during January around the world. As people have free time to go fishing during January, fishing retailers release their stocktake deals, as you can see below for Australia’s BCF retailer:
GOLF JANUARY SALE DRUMMOND
People playing golfing peaks in January as people are on holiday.
This is a great opportunity for Gold January sales, deals and offers.
Some retailers let their End of year sales continue for a few days during January as seen on Australia’s golf retailer Drummond below:
Influencers are using > The top “Australia Day” hashtags for Instagram
H&M JANUARY SALE CLOTHES/FASHION
H&M January sales slogan: Further reductions on sale – Up to 70% off
HARVEY NORMAN JANUARY SALE
Harvey Norman January sale slogan: Summer Sizzlers. Offering gift cards up to $500 on interest-free purchases.
Harvey Norman January sales offers deals laptop gaming
BETTA JANUARY SALES – LAPTOPS & HOME APPLIANCES
Betta retailer runs its January sale campaign as The New Year Clearance Sale. Hurry, while Stocks Last! From 1st Jan to 10th of January then moving to their Back to School campaign promoting discounted laptops.
BETTA BACK-TO-SCHOOL SALE – LAPTOPS
HP JANUARY SALE LAPTOPS
The HP “January sale” marketing campaign is the continuation of its end-of-year campaign.
HP uses the January sale slogan: “End of the year sale-abrasion”
HOMEDEPOT JANUARY SALE
Homedepot January sale slogan: Up to 40% off selected tools & accessories. They do not have a specific section for January sale deals and offers.
JEWELRY JANUARY SALE – PROUDS
Jewellery retailer Prouds runs a “January sale on now” campaign promoting discounted products up to 50 per cent off.
JOHN LEWIS JANUARY SALE FASHION
John Lewis January sale slogan: “Winter Sale Now On”
MADE.COM JANUARY SALE FURNITURE
Made.com January sale extends only to the first week of January only. They use the January sale campaign slogan: “Extra saving, Dining room. This week only”
MICHAEL HILL JANUARY SALE JEWELLERY
Michael Hill jewellery stores offer the same type of January offer/deal: Up to 50% off selected items.
OPSM JANUARY SALE – GLASSES
Who would not mind a discounted pair of glasses in January? OPMS retailer runs a New Year’s sale campaign offering discounted glasses and sunglasses up to 50% off.
PANDORA JANUARY SALE
Jewellery January sales, deals and offers are the most sought by consumers worldwide. Pandora’s online marketing does a great job of promoting a great range of products at a discounted price during December.
Pandora’s “January sale” slogan is: “Sale. Too good to miss…”
PS4 JANUARY SALE BIG W
Play Station 4 (PS4) is one of the most searched products people look at during January.
Users go to Google to find a sale, deal, offer discount or promo code.
However, only a few retailers are offering PS4 discounts, including Australia’s retailers BIGW and Amazon.
RYANAIR JANUARY SALES – CAR HIRE & FLIGHTS
Ryanair is well known for publishing its summer offers at the beginning of January every year.
Ryanair’s January sales include flights and car hire.
RICHERSOUNDS JANUARY SALE
British people know where to get good electronic deals in January.
Richersounds January sale slogan: “SALE Continues…”
Celebrate Australia Day with one of these “Australia flag map” images.
SAMSUNG UK JANUARY SALE
Samsung UK runs a New Year’s sale promotion with a strange icon and slogans:
- “I read the whole internet”
- “Treat yourself with the best savings across all our product ranges”
- “The Farewell 2020 sale. You’ve earned it.”
TUI JANUARY SALE
Tui online travel agency also runs January deals far back in Sep/Oct/Nov making sure they get their commission far in advance.
ULTA BEAUTY JANUARY SALE
Ulta Beauty’s January sale slogan: “Discover daily beauty steals. 50% off the must-haves”
USED CARS JANUARY – SNOWS
Car dealerships rely on a big January Sale push to hit their January revenue targets.
USED CARS JANUARY SALE – PARKS
VODAFONE JANUARY SALE
Vodafone UK expands their Winter Sale campaign into January.
WAYFAIR JANUARY SALE
Wayfair is probably one of the best retailers promoting their January sale marketing campaign with multiple banners on their website homepage and social media channels.
WASHING MACHINES JANUARY SALE – APPLIANCESDIRECT
UK Home appliances retailer appliancesdirect takes their January sales seriously, creating a section on their website, visible from the home page.
XBOX JANUARY SALE – OZ GAME SHOP
According to Google Trends, Xbox is one of the most searched “Jan sale” products. However, few retailers use this as a catch to attract potential buyers. Even if you cannot offer a discounted product, you could offer a complementary product or service for a discounted price as part of an “Xbox January sale” deal.
Are your social media posts ready for Australia Day? The top 25 most popular “Australia Day” hashtags on Instagram
ZARA JANUARY SALE FASHION
Zara’s January Sale campaign takes over all above-the-fold real estate on their home page. That’s how serious they are at promoting their January Sale campaign.
Celebrate Australia Day with one of these “Australia flag map” images.
The best 12 January Sales campaign actions for success
- Craft a professional digital marketing plan, including your January sales targets and executions.
- Update your Google My Business profile with your regular opening hours (if applicable) and attributes added.
- Check with your sales manager which marketing campaigns worked last January 2020 and replicate.
- Run a pop-up banner across all pages on your website promoting your Jan sale (See Freedom furniture example below)
- If you are offering a highly discounted product, create urgency by sending weekly updates on inventory levels
- Create content that helps people with the most common January activities: Find a new job, start a new diet, start a new exercise regime, find love, etc.
- As most people are on holiday in the first two weeks of Jan, promote your long piece type of content.
- Help parents or kids with tips, deals and offers for the Back to School period.
- Announce your upcoming virtual events or promotions you will be launching in the next quarter.
- Has your loyalty program changed? Send an update to your members.
- Has your referral program changed? Send an update to your affiliates.
- Clean your inbox of all those last year’s emails you no longer want to follow up on so you can fully focus on your Jan sale targets.
✪ Expert tip: When writing your January sales titles and copy, make sure you include popular keywords so people can easily find your January offers. These words will also be great juice for your SEO. Below is our recommended list:
- Promo code
- Promotions / Discounts
Yes, you can become better at promoting “January Sales” campaigns with some of the above tips and other tactics. But ultimately, what you should aim for – as a top marketer – is to spearhead your organisation into an experience-centric organisation. This is a radical approach everyone in a business should buy into and a transformation your customers will love you for.
Experience-centric organisations do not sell products that demand January Sale deals.
They offer unique and remarkable experiences that happen to use one or a few products.
They have designed and shared the most unique adventure with only the people who dare to welcome it.
If you still need to run January sale campaigns, my last observation for you is:
Successful January Sales campaigns are planned far in advance, marketers – running them – test their hypothesis from the insights they got from their last January data and have implemented a constant customer feedback loop system to know how to polish and improve them.
eDigital can help you conceptualise, plan, develop, run and optimise successful January sales marketing campaigns that generate leads and sales for your brand.
The services we offer include:
- Strategic planning for social media and other digital marketing channels.
- Online advertising management and optimisation (Search, Display, social media ads and re-marketing).
- Marketing training: social media training and digital marketing training.
- SEO strategy and execution. Including content development (articles, stories, eye-catching and SEO-optimised visuals).
- Celebrity and influencer marketing campaign strategy.
- Brand development. Logo creation, brand personality development and design of marketing materials.
- Consumer contests/competitions/giveaways.
- Email marketing. Dip sequence design and deployment.
- Conversion rate optimisation. Also called “path to purchase” optimisation.
Contact us today and start boosting your leads and sales.
Final note: Want to reduce customer acquisition costs and dependency on paid media? eDigital‘s marketing strategy training will unmercifully review your marketing, help you build a marketing engine with channels and assets you own, stir your team’s thinking, bring new ideas for new conversion paths and boost customer lifetime value.
THE BEST JANUARY SALES MARKETING CAMPAIGN EXAMPLES AND IDEAS IN 2024
Mau is one of the most popular marketing consultants and facilitator of eDigital‘s best marketing strategy training and best social media training. Top marketers use Mau’s popular Digital Marketing Plan and Social Media Plan templates.