Social Media Monitoring tools and software are used for a variety of purposes. Marketers use social monitoring tools to make sense of online conversations with the objective of:
Clutch released a study analysing how medium and large businesses use social listening tools.
Check how Audience Segmentation, type of Mentions and Sentiment work before signing a contract
- Ask for a test period (at least 3 months) and if possible compare two Social Media Listening players during the same testing period. Compare the social listening data coming out of the two platforms, how they help you with audience segmentation, type of mentions to monitor and sentiment analysis. Having a testing period is key as you do not want to be locked into a year contract with the wrong tool.
- Check how you get mentions in real-time across a variety of social channels so you can mitigate any customer problems and engage users in discussing your brand or relative keywords.
- You want to be able to filter by neutral, positive, or negative sentiment when necessary to respond to negative comments or reward positive ones.
- You want to be given a graph that displays the most popular times in which mentions occur so you can construct your content strategy distribution accordingly.
Do not delay >< Skyrocket your sales with the best customer service plan
Check Gender and Channel Data
- The platform should allow you to break down the results by gender and social media channel sources to see how certain genders are mentioning or engaging with your brand or keywords across different social media channels.
- You want the above data in a graph form so you can easily see how it has changed over time
Exclusive > The world’s top 25 most-followed sports athletes on Instagram
Tip: When you notice that you have a stark difference in engagement on certain channels over others, you can pivot resources to increase engagement on the less involved channels if they are part of a stronger part of your target audience. Reaching the right audience is crucial with your social media campaigns, so executing your content toward the correct demographics that correspond with certain channels is extremely important for a social media strategy.
Marketers are reading > The top 25 trending TikTok hashtags
Check how the social media listening platform finds influencers
- The platform should allow you to locate the right influencers to help promote your brand.
- It should offer you their potential reach, estimated ad equivalency*, and the number of mentions they’ve accumulated over a specific date range.
*Estimated ad equivalency is a feature that denotes an estimation of the amount of money you would have had to spend in advertising to get the same amount of exposure. It’s a great way to know the dollar $ value of an influencer.
Check if it offers a Word Cloud and the way it works
- The tool should give you ideas on other keywords and phrases to target with the word cloud
- The word cloud should show the most common words appearing in a mention that features your brand and/or keywords.
Check Other Features Available
- Storm Alerts so that you know whenever there is a high volume of mentions occurring on the channels you’re monitoring.
- Reports that you can send to anyone at any time can be automated as well.
- Topic comparisons so that you can compare certain aspects of your social media campaigns across the dates and channels you select.
Forrester wave quadrant social listening platforms q3 2018
THE TOP BENEFITS OF A SOCIAL MEDIA MONITORING TOOL
- Customer Service. Even good people – sometimes – do bad things on social media, leaving poor comments, complaints and destructive criticism about your brand. This content can lead to specific business disruptions, stress and brand reputation damage. It can help you pivot quicker if it is structured correctly.
- Designing a product upgrade. Using social listening, marketers can monitor interest in extra product accessories or new features nationally or in specific cities. In a particular location, you may see a particular need since people are posting pictures about their issues. In another city, you might spot considerable demand for a more premium version of your product or service. You might also notice particular instances of bad product usage.
- Identifying pain points for potential customers using other options or brands. marketers can position their offerings against the existing options. City-centric and perhaps even fully personalized ads on social media can help embed your brand as a better option for your potential customers.
- Amplifying your brand media releases. monitoring trending news stories about your brand not only helps you with customer service.
- Optimising campaign launches. Ensuring there is an infrastructure for measuring reception to launch is important. This is a prime opportunity for immediate feedback around your offering which can be used to improve and compare against future launches. This is important across all industries where there are multiple launch dates across the world.
- Increase your brand reputation. Social media listening allows you to turn negative commentary into positive experiences, only when you can systematically track social media conversations.
- Monitoring your competition and newsjacking. Knowing when your competition is generating big spikes in social media commentary is key as you may have the opportunity to be involved in the conversation and also gain social media participation share.
- Insights for your Content Marketing Strategy. Social Media Listening offers your brand Insights for your Content Marketing, especially when creating and testing ever-green content, tripwires and lead magnets.
- It offers tips for your brand SEO strategy. can drive highly targeted traffic to conversion at a very low cost.
- Knowing the most popular topics of the public, the government, the media (key journalists), your customers and your employees can give your marketing team an edge when improving your brand awareness, reputation and preference.
- Cheaper than traditional marketing. In the long run, it is cheaper to listen to customers via social media than to run customer focus groups, etc.
- Great Audience segmentation. To make social listening data representative, you can create a specific audience you want to listen to based on several demographic and psychographic criteria. For example, You could listen to only teens’ conversations or people who work on social media.
- Avoid a PR crisis. Being alerted to important issues within conversations around your brand (particularly ones around safety) can help you stay on top of potential PR crises.
Psychographic segmentation graph chart
The benefits of social listening for marketers go way beyond the reach of their owned social media accounts. Identifying consumer needs, tracking conversations around competitors, optimising ads and launches and then keeping abreast of changing opinions and needs post-launch are all key areas where social listening can help bring the customer voice into important decisions. The fact that it’s all in real-time and immediately accessible means social data is perfectly suited to a fast-moving, volatile market where hours and perhaps even minutes can count.
THE BEST 35 SOCIAL MEDIA MONITORING TOOLS IN 2024
awario logo png social media listening monitoring tool
With Awario, you can track mentions of your brand and competitors across the web, you can discover your niche influencers, engage with customers, and find new sales leads on social media. Awario offers a free trial. Key features:
- Find important discussions. join discussions in real-time, and spread the word about your product, service, or content across social and the Web to reach new audiences and trigger word-of-mouth marketing.
- Research your market. Social media is full of invaluable market information and consumer intelligence – but it’s also full of noise. Get meaningful customer insights with Awario to understand your audience better and marketing campaigns.
- Take your customer service social. Answer clients’ questions, follow up on positive and (ahem) negative comments and build meaningful relationships by always being there for customers when they need you.
Awario acquired Buzzbundle in 2017.
Just in > The best time to post on TikTok
34. ADOBE EXPERIENCE MANAGER
Adobe Experience Manager logo
Adobe Experience Manager is the former Adobe Social. It is the leading digital experience management solution for marketers and IT to design, anticipate and deliver quickly adaptable experiences across the web, mobile, in-store and any end-point in the customer journey. Adobe bought Context Optional back in May 2011.
agora pulse logo png
Easily manage shares, mentions and the results of social media keyword or hashtag searches as a team.
You will be surprised > The top 25 most followed Australians on Youtube
32. AHREFS CONTENT EXPLORER TOOL
ahrefs logo png SEO tool competitor
Similar to Buzzsumo it helps you find popular content/posts resonating in different social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, etc. The content explorer tool is not free and it is part of their $179/month package.
31. BAZAAR VOICE
bazaar voice logo png
Learn from customer behaviour and stay ahead of trends. Improve your shopping experience (and your products) with real-time problem tracking, custom alerts on review activity, and comprehensive reporting on everything from category and product performance to offline conversion impact. Bazaarvoice acquired Curalate in July 2020. Clients: Coles, Repco, Warehouse Group, Officeworks, Johnson & Johnson.
brand24 logo png
Brand24 is a social media monitoring and analytics tool. Brand24 can monitor any topic, keyword or brand name mentioned on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Linkedin. It also combines features for gaining social insights, engaging audiences, and detecting sales opportunities. Some of Brand24 best features include:
- You can track and engage in online conversations relevant to your business and offer you reach, sentiment, and influence analysis.
- Many companies of different sizes ( not only enterprise-level) use this tool to identify and analyse online conversations about their brands, products, and competitors.
- Great tool for monitoring your brand or blog.
- Brand24 gives you instant access to all public mentions on the internet.
Brand24 review testimonial
Not sure what to sell? The top fastest-growing industries list
Buffer logo png social media scheduling app tool platform
Many people think it is a social media listening tool but it is not, it is a social media content distribution tool, that allows you to post content to all your relevant social media channels all at once.
buzzsumo logo png
Find the most shared social media content and key influencers.
conversocial logo png
Brands itself as a “customer engagement solution as advanced as your customer.” It is a lesser-known social listening tool, but many top brands depend on it, including Google, Hyatt, Hertz and Tesco. Conversocial allows you to collect data on customers from multiple platforms on both mobile and desktop devices. The tool is designed to bring marketers into discussions with their customers and help them be more proactive with their responses.
cision logo png
Cision is a social media management and monitoring tool. Cision gives users a solution for monitoring, engaging, and analyzing social streams to gain insights into a brand’s image and engage a community. Cision acquired ViralHeat in March 2015 and social media and PR monitoring platform Trendkite in Jan 2019. Cision also used to own a social media monitoring tool called: Visible Intelligence. Cision currently owns BrandWatch and Falcon.io
- BRANDWATCH Owned by Cision
brandwatch logo png
Brandwatch was bought by peer index in 2014 you can identify social influencers by topic. Brandwatch is a social intelligence and social media listening and analytics technology platform that gathers millions of online conversations every day and provides users with the tools to analyse them. In June 2017, Brandwatch launched “Image insights” their new image detection and analysis tool to help marketers discover and analyse how, when, and where people are sharing content with your logo. With image insights, marketers can discover how people are using your products even if they are not typing the exact words on their content allowing them to see all types of content: the good, the bad before it goes viral. In October 2018, Crimson Hexagon merged into the BrandWatch umbrella.
- Signals. Signals is part of the BrandWatch offering allowing companies to analyse media mentions in real-time and automatically alert you via email when there have been significant changes, such as an increase in volume, a trending story or an influencer getting involved in the conversation. The “Signals” tool doesn’t require you to know what changes you’re looking for in advance – so it’s great for unearthing stories or issues you might otherwise have missed. Signals can be set up to alert multiple people – even those without a Brandwatch login.
Want to refresh your LinkedIn cover photo? > The best LinkedIn profile cover image ideas, examples and styles
demandforce logo png
DemandForce (Formerly known as Flowtown) is a social media monitoring software that offers:
- List management so the tool feeds your most up-to-date business information to popular consumer destinations, ensuring you have complete and accurate info on sites including Google, Bing, Citysearch, Yellowpages.com and more.
- Marketing automation makes it possible to reach out to clients when they’re due for routine and recommended services.
- Online reviews management. Expand your online presence by sending your customer reviews to sites like Yelp, Facebook, WebMD, Vitals and more.
- Appointment reminders and confirmations. (via email or text) reducing no-shows.
- Call tracking.
digimind logo png
Digimind is a social media listening software that helps you find the conversations people are having about your brand. You will see the conversations that matter most, in real-time, across millions of online sources, in order to gain valuable insights to drive and improve your marketing strategy. It also offers:
- a Social Command Centre which is a big screen that showcases your brand pulse – in real-time – on social media.
- Monitor, analyse and report mentions and other social data.
- An app is available for Hootsuite integration.
Followerwonk is a software tool to optimise your Twitter marketing, part of the Moz suite of tools. Followerwonk helps you explore and grow your Twitter followers. Followerwonk offers Twitter analytics to find Twitter influencers, analyse, and optimize your Twitter marketing campaigns. It integrates with Buffer so you know what times are the best to tweet your marketing content.
Popular today > Social media training for government employees
22. GOOGLE ALERTS
google alerts logo png
Google Alerts is a free service you can use to set up an alert with keywords you want to track via Google Alerts, this might include mentions of your brand, your category, your competitors’ names or specific industry leaders’ names or industry news you want to keep an eye on.
✅ Marketers are using > The best bots and apps for free real Instagram followers
Isentia logo png
iSentia (formerly called Buzznumbers) offers Social media monitoring. You can easily monitor brands, competitors, products and more on social media with iSentia media monitoring technology. You can monitor, report on, analyse and track everything in one place.
Ever since Keyhole extended its hashtag research to cover Instagram, it’s been one of the most complete hashtag analysis tools on the market. They give you a lot of information about each specific hashtag, including how many users added it to their posts, the reach of the hashtag, and the impressions it receives. You can also see how many unique posts featured the hashtag, to evaluate popularity against the competition.
Back in March 2019, Spredfast and Lithium joined Forces as “Khoros” to offer one of the best Industry’s Social Media listening platforms. With Khoros, you can identify audiences and understand the social forces at play to inform campaigns. Social data is only as valuable as it is usable. Khoros Intelligence provides your brand on-demand access to multi-channel social listening data that are accessible to anyone on your team. Khoros Intelligence is as intuitive as it is unlimited: You’re never charged by a search. Use Khoros Intelligence to find new audiences you might’ve otherwise missed, keep an eye on your brand’s top competitors so you’re never surprised, and manage your brand in times of crisis.
18. MEDIA TOOL KIT
Monitor online mentions of your brand in real-time. Whether a PR pro or a marketer, Mediatoolkit will let you know about every article, hashtag or comment mentioning your business.
meltwater logo png
Meltwater helps PR, social and marketing teams go beyond media monitoring. Meltwater platform helps clients build influence, connect with their audience and measure success on the go. Meltwater has made several acquisitions in the social media space including Sysomos (April 2018), Klear (April 2021), Owler (June 2021), DeepReason.ai (Nov 2021). Top clients include Google, Kellogs, Puma, H&M, World Wildlife Fund, Mailchimp, Air France, W Hotels, Fox Sports and The Economist.
Briefing a professional photographer? > The best creative photography brief template
Mention is a social media monitoring solution. Mention is also integrated with the social media management platform Buffer to allow users to manage and publish content within the product.
Oktopost is a B2B-specific social media suite with features in social media management, social media monitoring, and social analytics. Oktopost allows users to manage and monitor their brand on social media channels such as Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn.
14. ORACLE SX MARKETING
oracle social cloud logo
Oracle SX (Formerly called Vitrue) is a social media monitoring tool to discover, analyse and respond across paid, owned and earned social channels to measure the impact of data-driven campaigns. Even savvy modern marketers struggle to measure social ROI. With unified listening, analytics and engagement, The Oracle SX Marketing software helps data-driven marketers derive actionable social insights, measure social success, and connect social analytics with business KPIs to save time and maximize resources. Unique three-tiered social listening transforms online conversations into insight-ready qualitative and quantitative data points. Configurable social reports drive smarter business decisions, and a response engine helps marketers join the social conversation to resolve customer service issues and drive advocacy. Oracle SX Marketing helps modern marketers deliver relevant experiences that drive brand loyalty and impact the bottom line. Oracle SX Marketing includes the following social solutions:
- Social media monitoring: Uncover actionable insights from social or unstructured 1st party data through proprietary 3-tiered listening technology. Latent semantic analysis delivers easy refinement and auto-theming while natural language processing drives sentiment and top terms for business users.
- Social analytics: Oracle SX Marketing intuitive analytics tools empower marketers to unify analytics from various social channels. Customisable dashboards empower marketers to discover, analyze and report to measure campaign impact across paid, owned and earned social data.
- Social engagement: Read, route and respond to social messages across owned and earned channels in one customizable engagement console.
- Social cloud platform: The Social Cloud platform offers an API layer to deliver social data and functionality into existing technology stacks including Oracle Customer Experience, Oracle Marketing and third parties. Customers and partners leverage the social platform to bring the power of social into their existing technology investments.
PostPlanner helps you find the best content in your industry and schedule it on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
12. PR NEWSWIRE FOR JOURNALIST
You can create email alerts for a specific topic. For example, you can create an alert when the media publishes an article related to “Best Social Media Listening tools”. The downside is that it is extremely hard to unsubscribe.
You can use Quora to monitor the questions and key discussions happening in your industry. For example, you can track what has been discussed about social media listening >> right now! <<
Is your social media working? > Write the best social media strategy plan with this premium template
Linkfluence is a social media monitoring and intelligence tool. Linkfluence features include solutions for social listening, social measurement, engagement, and real-time management.
9. SALESFORCE SOCIAL STUDIO
With the acquisitions of Radian6 and Exact Target, SalesForce Social Studio offers a robust and one of the best Social Media Listening tools. You can a
Sendible is a social media suite product with features in social media management, social media monitoring, and social analytics. Users can manage their social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram, and blogs from Sendible’s dashboards.
SentiOne is a newer social listening tool that is used by 2k+ brands in different countries. The most basic plan allows you to track keywords, users, mentions and recent updates in real-time. Sentione offers a limited-time free trial. Here are some of the main features:
- Data can be collected from Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, news aggregators, opinion websites, and blogs.
- You can measure the reach of your messages on any given day.
- You can see results in different languages.
- You can monitor campaigns at different levels, including category, competition, consumers and communication.
- Advanced consumer and workflow management filters can be used.
The Emplifi solution enables continuous social media monitoring without over-complicating analysis by automatically cutting out the noise and irrelevant data. With customisable query-based searches, uncover the right social media insights at all stages of the customer journey. From awareness and interest to purchase and retention, translate the relevant data into immediately actionable social media intelligence. You can spot and address problems across the entire customer journey before they escalate into a crisis. Whether it’s problematic campaign messaging or product errors and reacting fast.
5. SOCIAL FLOW
Used by mashable.com and News Limited and other publishers to manage and optimise social media engagement. Will help you know the best time to publish for optimal reach and engagement.
4. SOCIAL MENTION
Monitors over 100 sources and you can easily track and measure what people are saying about you, your company, a new product, or any topic across the social media landscape in real time.
Sprinklr is an enterprise-level social media suite with features for social media management, social media monitoring, social advertising, and social analytics. Sprinklr can access a variety of social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, and Instagram. Sprinklr offers users customizable social media components to integrate with many departments within a company.
Find out > The most expensive art ever sold
talkwalker logo png social media intelligence
Talkwalker is a social media monitoring and analytics tool. Talkwalker helps marketers find and use their social data to access brand insights.
You will also like > The best video editing software, apps and tools
unamo logo png
Unamo helps you monitor your brand, manage your reputation, keep track of your competitors and gain new clients. Key features:
- Real-time results. Unamo will populate your feed with mentions as they occur naturally so you can respond quickly and effectively.
- Actionable Analytics. Measure the success and potential of your marketing campaigns with built-in social media KPIs like reach, interactions, popularity, and sentiment
- Market Insights. Use industry-specific keywords to monitor trends within your niche to stay a step ahead of your market competition
Need social media monitoring support or training? Contact us
Some of the above best social media listening tools are important for marketers looking to harness the power of social media effectively.
These top social media listening platforms can provide insights, improve customer engagement, aid in marketing strategy, and ultimately contribute to the success of sales, marketing, branding, and customer service efforts.
eDigital can help you conceptualise, plan, develop, run and optimise successful social media marketing campaigns that generate leads and sales for your brand.
The services we offer include:
- Strategic planning for social media and other digital marketing channels.
- Online advertising management and optimisation (Search, Display, social media ads and re-marketing).
- Marketing training: social media training and digital marketing training.
- SEO strategy and execution. Including content development (articles, stories, eye-catching and SEO-optimised visuals).
- Celebrity and influencer marketing campaign strategy.
- Brand development. Logo creation, brand personality development and design of marketing materials.
- Consumer contests/competitions/giveaways.
- Email marketing. Dip sequence design and deployment.
- Conversion rate optimisation. Also called “path to purchase” optimisation.
Contact us today and start boosting your leads and sales.
Hundreds of marketers have supported us with their generous donations. Donate today! or join 5k+ marketers receiving our e-newsletter.
Final note: Want to reduce customer acquisition costs and dependency on paid media? eDigital‘s marketing strategy training will unmercifully review your marketing, help you build a marketing engine with channels and assets you own, stir your team’s thinking, bring new ideas for new conversion paths and boost customer lifetime value.
THE BEST SOCIAL MEDIA MONITORING TOOLS IN 2024
was brought to you by Mau
Mau is one of the most popular marketing consultants and facilitator of eDigital‘s best marketing strategy training and best social media training. Top marketers use Mau’s popular Digital Marketing Plan and Social Media Plan templates.
Book Mau for your next training day or join 5k+ marketers receiving Mau‘s e-newsletter.