WHAT IS A SNAPCHAT GEO-FILTER?
Find below the definition and meaning of a Snapchat geofilter and how you can use a Snapchat geofilter to promote your local business. Written by MAU. Senior Digital Marketing Specialist at eDigital.
WHAT IS A SNAPCHAT GEOFILTER?
Snapchat geofilters are the new and only ad which is co-created by users. Most of Snapchat users are for Gen Y (millennials) and Gen Z (Centennials). The co-creation aspect makes geo-filters not only highly successful but also bring authentic advocacy not another digital ad in history has been able to achieve. Further to this, Snapchat influencers do want Brands to offer geo-filters they can use! According to the latest SnapChat Study by Australian Social Media influencer platform: Social Soup.
Firstly, Snapchat is a social media app that allows its users to send messages that disappear after a set time, usually 10 seconds. Geofilters are location-based graphic overlays that Snapchat users can apply to their Snaps. Great tool for Australian marketers to reach the ever-elusive millenials and the more mysterious generation Z.
The most popular Snapchat geofilter marketing campaign so far has been Taco Bell’s “Cinco de Mayo” filter, which turns a user’s head into a giant taco shell receiving 224 million views in one day. In Australia, big companies to startups are using geo-filters to connect with their main audiences. Names include Qantas, AAMI, KFC, McDonald’s, Rexona and startups such as HiSmile e-commerce portal.
SNAPCHAT USERS BY JUNE 2019: 203 MILLION
There are two types of geofilters you need to decide on when submitting a new geo-filter for approval:
- On Demand Personal Geofilter is one that doesn’t include any branding, business marks/names, or logos, and doesn’t promote a business or a brand. You might submit a Personal Geofilter to celebrate a birthday or graduation, for example.
- A Business Geofilter is one that promotes a business or a brand, and it will need to meet the Business guidelines set forth below.
You can make changes to your order after you’ve submitted as long as it is still in the review process. Go here for more info. If you want to make any changes after your order has gone through the review process, you will need to cancel your order and place a new order.
You can cancel your On-Demand Geofilter by logging in here and selecting “Cancel.” Please note: If your On-Demand Geofilter is cancelled before it runs on Snapchat, you’ll receive a full refund. If your Geofilter is cancelled while it’s running, Snapchat will offer a partial refund so that you’ll only pay for the time your Geofilter ran.
For Snapchat to be able to run your Geofilter, you’ll need to follow these guidelines:
How to set a Snapchat Geofilter Place
How to set a Snapchat Geofilter Date
- Select dates and times that you’re confident will cover the time you want the Geofilter to be active. An On-Demand Geofilter cannot be active for more than 30 days.
Snapchat Geofilters best practices
- Do not use logos or trademarks you don’t own or have the authorization to use.
- No photographs of people.
- No phone numbers, emails, URLs, Snapcodes, download instructions, social media usernames, or personal information.
- No hashtags, no lotteries, No drug-related content.
- No more than two lines of non-stylized text.
- Be creative and make it visually compelling.
- Make something that Snapchat users will want to send to their friends.
- Geofilters are about sharing a location, event, fun effect, or idea and should be something that Snapchat users will want to send to their friends.
- Don’t cover up too much of the screen, using the top or bottom of the screen is best practice, allowing for users photo to appear nicely.
- Make sure it’s relevant to the location or the event happening at the location.
- For additional content restrictions and guidance read Snapchat Advertising Policies and Community Guidelines.
Snapchat Geofilters Submission Tips
- Geofilter files should be 1080 px wide by 1920 px high (dimensions). Use the purchase tool preview page to see how it will look on different devices.
- Files should be under 300KB in size and saved as PNG file with a transparent background.
- If your Geofilter is rejected by Snapchat they will generally provide you with a reason as to why it was rejected. You can make adjustments and resubmit your filter as a new order.
- Name your Geofilter something you will remember – that way it will be easier to understand your results.
Snapchat Business Guidelines
- You must have the necessary rights and permissions to include any business names, marks, logos, or trademarks in a Geofilter.
- If you are submitting a Geofilter for a business your Geofilter must include a business name.
- Please keep in mind Snapchat may display your business name, as entered by you, to let Snapchat users know that your business provided the Geofilter. Please go here for more info.
- Ready to go? You can submit your geofilter to Snapchat here. If you want more information about how to build and measure results for your geofilter first, check out this blog from Buffer — which includes the story of how one event spent $30 on a filter that generated more than 90,000 views!
- For additional tips please see Snapchat Support Site or read this great article by Melanie Kershaw on Eventbrite blog
OTHER SNAPCHAT RESOURCES AND GUIDES
- The Beginner’s Guide to Snapchat
- The Ultimate Guide To Snapchat In 2016 – Strategy, Tutorials, Case Studies, And More
- Snapchat: The ultimate guide
- How to Use Snapchat: A Guide for Beginners
- How to Use Snapchat: A Detailed Look Into HubSpot’s Snapchat Strategy
- A Beginner’s Guide to Snapchat for Business – by Constant Contact
- A Beginner’s Guide to Snapchat for Business – by the Digital Marketing Institute
- The Quick Guide to Using Snapchat for Business in 2016
- Guide on how to create a Snapchat Geofilter for your business
- Everything You Need to Know About Snapchat Geofilters (And How to Build Your Own)
- Snapchat’s Business Geofilters: Everything You Need To Know
- Snapchat Geofilters: A Complete Guide
- 15 Creative Snapchat Campaigns from Brands to Inspire Your Snap Strategy
- 5 Creative Ways Brands Are Using Snapchat
- 10 of the Best Brands on Snapchat Right Now (And Why They’re So Great)
- 11 Clever Snapchat Marketing Examples
- The top 50 marketing influencers on Snapchat (that aren’t DJ Khaled)
- 8 Spectacular Snapchat Marketing Strategies to Grow Your Business
- The Snapchat Marketing Guide for Brands
- Learn How To Create A Snapchat Marketing Strategy That Sells
- 6 Marketing Strategies for Crushing it on Snapchat
- The Ultimate Guide to Snapchat Marketing
- Snapchat for Business: The Ultimate Marketing Guide
- This is THE BEST Way to Grow Your Snapchat Following in 2016
- 10 Actionable Tips to Get Your First 1000 Snapchat Followers
- 11 Ways to Grow Your Snapchat Following
- 8 Easy Ways to Build a Following on Snapchat
- The Ultimate Guide to Snapchat: How to Get Your First 1000 Views
- Snapchat Marketing for Brands: The 6 Metrics That Matter
- What, How, and When to Measure 3 Key Areas of Your Snapchat Marketing
WHAT IS A SNAPCHAT GEO-FILTER
was brought to you by…
Award Winner Digital Marketer, top Linkedin Influencer, Certified Facebook / Adwords Professional, Certified SEO Consultant, StartUp Investor, Writer, Speaker. 15+ years optimising some of Australia’s top brands. MAU.trains marketers via Strategy Workshops & Training Sessions inc his popular Digital Marketing Plan & Social Media Plan templates. MAU. enjoys football, latin music & hiking while teaching Digital Marketing or completing creative photography briefs and conceptual photography assignments. Subscribe to MAU.’s e-newsletter connect on LinkedIn Instagram Facebook
eDigital – Australia’s “Digital Marketing” Destination
Share your opinion below 😀 ⇓