TOP 15 BEST SEO TIPS 2017
As a Digital Marketer, Search Engine Optimiser or business owner, part of your job is to ensure you are generating traffic and quality leads via your website. Search engines – specially Google in Australia – continue to be an essential channel for your potential customers to not only research and find information about their potential purchases but also an important channel you can build trust and preference before customers make a purchase decision.
As noted on the latest Elderman Trust Barometer 2017 online search engines continue to be the most trusted channel to be use when looking for news and information. Therefore, it is not only important to know about SEO but also to know what actions and priorities should support your business SEO strategy.
Below I would like to share with you my top best 11 SEO tips for 2017…
1. Have a professional SEO keyword research completed
SEO Keyword Research is the process of gathering, analysing and prioritising your business most important search phrases that might generate not only traffic to your website but quality leads with the least amount of ranking competition, time and effort. With limited time, resources and budget, a proper SEO keywords research will uncover and prioritise a list of search terms for you to start optimising for.
- Learn SEO keyword research from an SEO specialist or hire an SEO consultant who can research and present your top “low hanging fruit” keywords. You will be surprise with easy to rank keyword opportunities. Subscribe to our e-newsletter as sometimes we run free keyword research sessions in Sydney.
- Use tools such as Google keyword planner, Google trends, SEMRush, buzzsumo and others seo tools to make sense of the top keywords you should be ranking for.
- Once you know your top 20/50 or top 100 keywords that you need to start optimising for then you will be able to start planning your content strategy.
- If you do not have time or not sure how to properly do keyword research, please contact us as we can do this for you.
2. Trial Google Adwords
- Before you start allocating time, resources and money into SEO executions, it is always a good idea to run a pre-SEO Google Adwords Campaign to find out and confirm highly converting keywords before executing your best SEO strategy . The most important thing of this exercise is to ensure you are not just optimising for high traffic drivers’ key phrases but also phrases that convert the most!
3. Focus your SEO work on the most important SEO ranking factors
According to one of the latest 2017 SEO Ranking factors study completed by SEMRush, below are the top most important ranking factors across all industries. In my opinion Content Quality and length will spiral the other ranking factors. The better your content (generally longer articles, than snackable content) your website over time will improve on the other SEO ranking factors: time on site (people investing time to consume your content), pages per session (people like the first piece of content, then checking out other content within the same session), lower bounce rates (people having a feast not only in one content piece but different ones) and as a results of the quality of your content, then you will get more and better referring domains and ultimately increases on direct visits.
4. Define content priorities
- Once you have your confirm high traffic, high converting keywords you need to optimise for, then you need to look at what sort of content topics types and semantic groupings you should be creating content, curating content, commenting on and sharing.
- Focusing on a single topic with related content linking across several parts of the site is extremely beneficial.
5. Produce fresh highly shared quality content
- Produce well written, high quality (valuable) content. If you do not know what this means read this article from Google.
- Create recyclable highly shared content that you can update every year, every six months or every month. A great example is this article “best seo tips 2017” that eDigital can update and recycle every year!
- Google bot looks for unique fresh content, having new blog posts and web pages that your potential customers are searching for is key.
- People will share your new blog post or page if it answers people questions or provide alternatives people did not think of.
- Ensure your new blog posts and new pages have the correct url naming, descriptions and h1, h2 for the keyword you are focusing that content to rank for.
- Ensure embed images are also optimised. Use properly alt tags, image captions, image file names and image descriptions adding your focus keyword you want to optimise for. Example is the above image added to this article as I am optimising for the term “best seo tips 2017“.
6. Link building
External links pointing to your website – as not as critical as it used to be – continue to be super important factor for search engines. As part of Google algorithm, page rank which means the amount of links and quality of those links pointing to a specific website continue to be a ranking factor.
- Collaborate with key influencers and popular content creators in your industry for new content opportunities. The more you involved popular content creators and curators, the more likely they will share and spread out your new pieces of content and add links on their website pointing to your website. When researching for popular content creators, check their website tone and voice and if aligned to your business then ideally prioritise content creators websites with higher page rank than your own website. You can use the Google tool bar Page rank to find the page rank of any website.
- Use buzzsumo.com and followerwonk.com to find influencers. Interview someone interesting in your industry or run competitions to get links via social media channels twitter or facebook
- A good back link is a link on an external website that is likely to bring you high quality traffic that converts. if you have a feeling that an external back link is not going bring you high quality traffic that converts, then do not engage or ask for that link.
- Ensure you are linking back to your website and product pages from your other own social channels including youtube video descriptions, youtube channel page description, facebook posts, facebook cover image, facebook about page, google plus posts, google plus about page, twitter posts, twitter profile description, partners’ articles and local media newspapers or magazines websites when they mention your business.
- Ensure your partners also are linking to your website AND to the right product pages. Example: if you are a retailer and your shop is located within a shopping mall/centre, you should ensure your shopping centre website is linking to the right pages.
- Consider creating and publishing a “Free Website application” that help users solve a questions or an issue. Free website applications will create a lot of free back links.
7. Check Negative SEO
- Spammy links on other websites linking to your website will decrease your chances of improving your organic rankings.
- Use tools such as ahrefs.com, Open Site Explorer, Majestic SEO to check your backlinks and ensure that you disavow all spammy external back links.
8. Website speed
- 1 second delay can generate 7% loss in conversions.
- Use the Google website speed test tool and if slow, then ask your developer for options to increase the speed of your website.
- When building a new website, ensure your web developers and designers are brief properly to ensure site speed is considered as one of the most important factors for both search engines and user experience.
9. Use HTTPS
- In August 2014, Google announced HTTPS as a ranking signal. In the long term, using HTTPS should have a positive impact on the overall ranking performance of e-commerce websites using a secured encrypted connection. Please note that you might loose rankings for few months when adopting HTTPS over TLS (Transport Layer Security).
- When moving to HTTPS, your website might slow down, so it is important double check website speed as this is another key ranking factor!
- If you are ready to move your website from normal http to https, please ensure your developers have read this article from google.
- If your site is already on HTTPS, you should test its security level and configuration with the Qualys Lab tool. If you are concerned about TLS and your site’s performance, have a look at Is TLS fast yet?
- Read common mistakes and tricks when migrating to HTTPS.
- To learn more about https; I would suggest this Udemy course.
10. Mobile version of your website.
- Get your website mobile version ready as from 21st of April 2015 Google will be giving more prominent search engine ranking positions to mobile friendly websites.
- More than 85 percent of the people who log into Facebook’s service each day now do so from a mobile device, we believe people are also searching more from mobiles than from desktops. therefore it is important to optimise not just for google mobile searchers but also for apps that target your industry.
11. Mark Up your content correctly
- Marking up your content will give extra signals to google about what sort of content your website pages are offering.
- Use Schema.org to learn more.
- Smo.knowem.com This is tool to find out if your website and social media properties are properly mark up or not.
12. Insert social share buttons.
- Google take into considerations how popular your blog posts and articles are via social media channels.
- Ensure your blog posts and web pages have social shares buttons.
13. Participate and provide value on third party websites
- Forums (whirlpool, quora, buzzfeed, tripadvisor), etc as in some categories, the top high rankings are owned by these third party websites. You need to participate and add value to the conversation related to your category and brands.
14. Check interest for your products over time
Use Google trends to check product search fluctuations and take decision to re-prioritise your SEO efforts for products that have a decent life spam.
15. DELETE YOUR INPUT TEXT OR INPUT EMAIL IF YOU ARE NOT HTTPS
Starting October 2017, Chrome (version 62) will show a “NOT SECURE” warning when users enter text in a form on an HTTP page, and for all HTTP pages in Incognito mode. The new warning is part of a long term plan to mark all pages served over HTTP as “not secure”. You can either migrate to HTTPS pages or delete these input code from your website.
- Find out our best SEO Tools today!
- Contact eDigital if you would like us to SEO review your website and help you increase your rankings.
“TOP 15 BEST SEO TIPS – 2017”
WAS WRITTEN BY…
Mauricio Escobar is the Founder & Global Head of Digital Marketing Strategy at eDigital. Empowering best digital marketing capability over 18 years via Strategy Workshops, Campaign Management & Training Sessions; Mauricio’s has generated traffic growth and sales for a great variety of Australian brands. Mauricio now consults and trains Agencies, Government & Marketing teams. His articles, strategy frameworks & templates are read by thousands of marketers subscribed to his e-newsletter. Mauricio enjoys nature trekking around the world, conceptual photography & teaching Digital Marketing at Private Colleges & Unis. Certified Facebook/Adwords Marketer – Social Media Specialist – Sydney SEO Consultant – Corporate Trainer – StartUp Investor – International Speaker.
Contact Mauricio today!
TOP EDIGITAL CONTENT
BEST TEMPLATES & GUIDES
Business Plan Template
Copyright Infringement Template
Copywriting Briefing Template
Creative Photography Brief Template
Digital Marketing Plan Template
Freelance Contract Template
Influencer Brief Template
LinkedIn Profile Tips Guide
Mobile App Development Brief Template
Public Relations Campaign Brief Template
Social Media Marketing Plan Template
Social Media Policy Template
Social Media Strategy Template
Strategic Marketing Plan Template
Video Monetisation Brief Template
Website Development Brief Template
App Builders Makers Tools
Digital Marketing Tools
Facebook Marketing Tools
Google Analytics Tools
Image File Size Reducer Tools
Influencer Marketing Tools
Instagram Marketing Tools
Marketing Dashboards Tools
Photo Editors Tools
Pinterest Marketing Tools
Online Quiz Maker Software
Online Survey Tools
Social Media Tools
Twitter Marketing Tools
Youtube Marketing Tools
MOST VISITED PAGES
Best Digital Marketing Agencies in Sydney
Best Free Online Photo Editors
Best Linkedin Profile Tips for Marketers
Best Marketing Consultants in Sydney
Best Online Affiliate Networks
Best Photography Courses in Sydney
Best Public Speaking Tips for Marketers
Best Royalty Free Image Banks
Buy Real Instagram Followers
Google Analytics Audit
Google Analytics Training
How to Get Instagram Followers Fast & Free
Photography (360 Inside View) Services for Google Maps
SEO Company Sydney
SEO Services Sydney
Snapchat Geofilters Design Services
Social Media Courses in Sydney
What is a tripwire offer?
Content Marketing Courses
Digital Marketing Courses
Facebook Marketing Courses
Google Adwords Courses
Google Analytics Courses
Google BigQuery Courses
Google Plus Marketing Courses
Growth Hacking Marketing Courses
Instagram Marketing Courses
Internet Marketing Courses
Linkedin Marketing Courses
MailChimp Marketing Courses
Mobile Marketing Courses
Online Marketing Courses
Social Media Courses
Viral Marketing Courses
Web Marketing Courses
Youtube Marketing Courses
BEST IMAGE SIZES
Airtasker optimal profile image sizes
Facebook ad best image sizes
Facebook best optimal image for post updates
Facebook most optimal cover image size
LinkedIn optimal image size for post updates
Twitter optimal image size for post updates
NOW YOUR TURN!
Share your opinion or your best tip below 😀 ⇓